Good health is a subject that seems to be on everybody’s mind these days. What does it mean to be truly healthy from a biblically oriented, thoroughly Christian point of view? And how do you maintain good health once you’ve got it? That’s our topic for this month’s Meier Clinic Moment.
As human beings, we’ve been designed by God to function as whole persons. We’re physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual beings. To be fully, completely, and holistically healthy, we have to pay close attention to each and every one of these aspects of our human nature. Here’s a list of questions designed to help you do just that:
- How is your spiritual health? A strong personal faith that affects your outlook on life, directs your daily choices and brings you comfort, peace, and joy can have a measurable impact on your well-being in every other area.
- How is your emotional health? Many physical symptoms have roots in emotional problems. It’s important, then, to take steps to ensure that your family’s life is kept on an even mental and emotional keel.
- What’s the quality of your fuel? When planning meals, be aware of such considerations as caloric content, the nutrients contained in your food, and the proportions of protein, fat, and carbohydrate in your daily intake.
- Do you exercise regularly? Make an intentional effort to do some kind of physical exercise at least five days a week.
- Do you and your spouse enjoy a healthy sex life? Safe and fulfilling sex is a crucial component of a stable marriage, and a strong marriage is the nucleus of a healthy home.
- Do you ingest any health-threatening substances? Tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, and excessive amounts of prescription medications can all present serious threats to long-term health and overall quality of life.
- Do you play it safe, or do you take chances with your life and health? Don’t run unnecessary risks. Stay current with immunizations and medical check-ups. Don’t neglect basic safety measures around the house and in the car.
- Are you getting enough sleep? Do you feel as if you get enough sleep each night? We spend roughly a third of our life sleeping. The quality of the sleep we enjoy is a vital component of good health.
If you need additional help in this area, you may want to check out Gary Thomas’s book Every Body Matters: Strengthening Your Body to Strengthen Your Soul. It’s available through Focus on the Family’s Online Store which can be accessed via the home page of the ministry’s website.